So.....

My photo
New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
Welcome to my world where I try to figure out what I'm going to do next! These days, it is mostly quilting, but you never know what it might be... come find out with me!

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Improv

I've been having fun this week!  My husband was complaining that everything I was making these days was going off in a swap or donation, and nothing was staying at home.  So, since I had just finished a couple of donation quilts, and the scraps were still on my cutting table, I randomly grabbed and pieced these potholders for him - not that he does much of the cooking these days :)!  (He's too busy renovating my kitchen for me!)
potholders

Then, since I was having so much fun, and I had a stack of pinks and yellows and oranges sitting about - I had just participated in a 3.5" square swap with a Flickr friend, and my fabrics were still in a pile beside my cutting table, I started having fun with those.  Let me tell you, these are not my usual choice of colours to work with - I might work a little bit into another quilt, but to use only these colours is a bit unheard of for me!  But I had fun!  Wonky Log Cabins resulted, and I had to choose my sashing
or whiteauditioning sashing - blue
I choose the blue to maximize the contrast.
here comes spring
I had fun quilting a big flower in the middle of the blocks, and then leaves and flowers throughout the sashing.
  quilting detail
(I'm just loving that late afternoon glow on this one!)
I had this new, very springlike table runner done by Friday afternoon!
While not my usual colours, I am liking it!
on deck
And, just because I'm feeling daring, I've decided to join Victoria at Bumble Beans Quilts challenge to do fabric portraits. Pretty scary stuff!  We'll see how that goes!
What have you done that's outside your normal lately?
Happy quilting!

5 comments:

Melissa ;-) said...

I am loving all of those bright colors and the wonderful quilting!

Joan said...

Oh WOW - I do love what you have been quilting...the FMQ is amazing - I just love it. I wish I was a good at FMQ as that...you must be delighted with your progress. Andrea just walked into the study and looked at your wonderful large flowers in the middle of the block - and you go another WOW :) ♥

Beth said...

Great use of your scraps! Your table runner is fantastic and the quilting is beautiful.

Maggi said...

I love the colours of the potholders but that tablerunner is just stunning.

Alexis said...

I love your runner- great colors and the quilting is amazing! It's fun to see all your playtime projects!