So.....

My photo
New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
Welcome to my world where I try to figure out what I'm going to do next! These days, it is mostly quilting, but you never know what it might be... come find out with me!

Friday, May 16, 2014

Bloggers Quilt Festival Time!




Just in case you hadn't heard about it elsewhere in blogland, it's time for the spring version of the Bloggers Quilt Festival, hosted by Amy Ellis.

This is a wonderful, inspirational linkup to all kinds of gorgeous quilts.  Make sure you check it out!

AmysCreativeSide.com

I'm going to be linking up two quilts this year, so stay tuned for a second post to follow this one.

If you've just arrived from the link up page, welcome!  Hope to see you again!

And Then There Were Four


This little quilt was made earlier this year to commemorate the birth of my grandson - their little family has grown to 4, which is so exciting!  It was made using the Riley Blake fabrics received in a Modern Quilt Guild challenge through the Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild.



I've entered it in the "Home Machine Quilted" category.  I felt it was time I tried a plus quilt, although I kept the pieced pluses to a minimum, and gave my self lots of quilting room!   I had a lot of fun playing with different quilting designs to create additional pluses.



My work is all done freehand on this quilt, although I had marked out the Plus grid in which to work.  For some of the more geometric designs, I also marked them first so I didn't stray too far off course.  I generally use a blue washout marker.




"and then there were four" details:
36" x 36"
Aurifil 50 wt top and bobbin, #2600, light grey 
Warm & Natural batting
quilted on my Pfaff Quilt Expression 3.2

Happy quilting!

38 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

Love the symbolism of the four plusses for your 4 grandchildren! And the quilting is amazing! Can’t imagine I would ever achieve something so beautifully on a domestic machine!

elle said...

It is great!

Calicojoan said...

Now there is some serious inspiration! This is gorgeous!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Janet, it's gorgeous! I love how you continued the cross theme into the beautiful quilting. Fabulous!

Linda said...

OMG Janet! I am in love with this quilt. It is fabulous! I only wish...

Catherine said...

Your quilting is amazing!

Dolly said...

That is the most cleverly designed baby quilt that I have seen in a LONG time ! Wonderful play on words, and beautifully executed piecing and quilting.

This is a winner !

Gayle Bong said...

Now this I find inspiring. Thanks.

Poppyprint said...

Damn, you are so talented!!! Gorgeous and unique quilting!

Sue Daurio said...

Amazing!! Again something so simple turned into an incredible work of art. All freehand, how do you do it? Even with marking those arcs and all, I can stare at this one for hours.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Very lovely quilting and what a wonderful heirloom gift! Being a grandparent is so much fun :)

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Very lovely quilting and what a wonderful heirloom gift! Being a grandparent is so much fun :)

Denise Bongiovanni~ said...

What a great interpretation of the birth of a child! I like how you quilted this beauty. I hope to quilt as beautifully as you some day!! Thank you for the inspiration, good luck with the show!

Nini~
niniandthesea.blogspot.com

Vivian said...

A wonderful baby quilt but also a great quilting stitch sampler! Love all the different designs you tried and how you used the pluses as your "workspace". Great showcase!

Andrea @ The Champ Life said...

Fantastic quilting! What a wonderful job. Thanks for sharing this quilt!

Jennie said...

Fabulous idea and amazing quilting to match!

Sheila said...

So glad I stopped by for a closer look, love the design and the symbolism behind it.

Angie in SoCal said...

Seriously, beautifully quilted! Congrats.

Maggi said...

This is just so beautiful.

Beth said...

Your quilting never fails to leave me awestruck. Georgous!!!

CitricSugar said...

Your quilting is just... wow!

Barbie Mills said...

Just stunning. Your work is beautiful. I love the design concept of quilting all of the pluses in the negative space.

Vera said...

This is fabulous. I can imagine it would be spectacular if you used different color for each cross.

Sandi said...

It is a sure winner! It is even more amazing in person.
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Amazing quilting! Nicely done

Hillary

Vicki Miller said...

Gorgeous as usual!

Amy @ Amy's FMQ Adventures said...

That looks like some serious fun! Fantabulous!

Katelyn @ Sing While Crafting said...

Absolutely gorgeous quilting!
- Katelyn @ Sing While Crafting

The Nifty Stitcher said...

Fantastic quilting - good luck in the festival!

Taller de lino / Linen artisan said...

Amazing work..how nice , good luck !
BTW..I like title of your blog..be excited to finish a project and restart a new one is almost a disease ! LOL

Rachaeldaisy said...

Your amazing quilting takes this quilt to a whole different level!!

MaterialGirlQuilts said...

Absolutely gorgeous quilting!!
Amanda

Kristie said...

This is absolutely phenomenal. You are incredible, Janet. Such a special quilt!

Robin said...

The quilting on this is beautiful! What a neat approach, and the story is wonderful as well. Thanks so much for sharing-- and congrats on your win! :)

Teresa Duryea Wong said...

Your stitching is awesome. Congrats on winning the machine quilting category!!

Marika said...

Amazing very nice job, congratulations to winning categories. Patchwork piecing happy love

Marika said...

Amazing very nice job, congratulations to winning categories. Patchwork piecing happy love

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

The votes have been revealed. It looks like you won!